The following diesel horn pages were organized by Chuck Davis. The information was compiled and provided to the ARHS by Carl Ragoza. Carl started out as a LV employee in the mid 1950’s. He then moved out west and was a fairly well known Southern Pacific engineer before his passing.
LehighValley diesel engines used one or more of the following type horns as indicated. Sound links for some of the horns may be found on member Ed Kapriske’s website: www.dieselairhorns.com
- (A) Wabco A-6, B-6
- (B) Leslie A-200 (also known as Bull Horns)
- (C) Leslie A-125
- (C*) Leslie A-175
- (D) Leslie S-1 (one chime).
- (D*) Leslie S-2 (two chime).
- (E) Leslie S-3 (three chime).
- (F) Nathan M-3 (all bells forward).
- (G) Nathan M-3 R1 (middle bell faces backward).
- (H) Nathan M-3 R2,4 (the two outside bells face backward).
- (I) Nathan M-2 R2 (the #4 bell is blocked off & #2 bell faces backward.) (Two chime).
- (J) Nathan P-2 R1 (two chime).
- (J*) Nathan P-2 (all bells face forward).
- (K) Nathan P-3 R2 (Three chime).
- (K*) Nathan P-3 R1,4 (Two bells faced backward).
- (L) Wabco E-2 (one chime long bell).
- (M) Nathan N-3 (the early version of the three chime air horn similar to the M-3)
Click on the links below to find pages detailing which horns were used on which Lehigh Valley diesel engines: