Dave Augsburger’s presentation will be awesome! And weather forecast is clear. You can leave the snowshoes at home this month.
Happy Holidays from everyone at the ARHS! Watch for exciting news coming in 2019.
In this issue:
- Scranton Convention Report 2018
- Equipment Restoration Update
- Archives and Sale Stock Moved to Lehigh Gap
- Board Elects ARHS Officers for 2018-2019
- Upcoming ARHS Meetings
- Volunteers Needed
September 8-9, 2018
Steamtown National Historic Site
350 Cliff St, Scranton, PA 18503
2018 represents the 70th anniversary of the ARHS- and Tri-State-owned EMD F3 units. Our 2018 convention will present a unique experience to ride behind, see, and tour these units in a chartered excursion from Steamtown to Tobyhanna and return, with photo stops. Our goal will be to use the complete A-B-A consist on the excursion, scheduled for Saturday. A barbecue dinner on the Steamtown property will follow the excursion.
On Sunday, we have arranged to use Steamtown’s auditorium for presentations. Topics include a report on the status of the ARHS, the history of the ARHS/Tri-State F3s, a CNJ veteran speaking on his career with the CNJ, an overview of the railroad photography of Donald Furler, and other surprises. Tours of the F3 units are available following the presentations.
Please join us for this weekend of exciting events.
Space is limited to first-come, first-served, so register early to guarantee your attendance!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8
EMD F3 Units 70TH Anniversary Celebration Excursion
(8:00 am–4:30 pm)
- Special excursion from Scranton to Tobyhanna behind the F3 units; includes photography opportunities.
- Excursion departs at 8:00 am and returns ~4:30 pm
- For photo stops, participants must be able to disembark and walk on uneven ground. Hiking shoes and long pants are required.
Evening BBQ Dinner (6:00 pm–8:00 pm)
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
Presentations (9:00 am–4:15 pm)
- Business meeting at 9:00 am
- Presentations at 10:15 am, 11:30 am, 2:00 pm, and 3:15 pm
- Presentations by Richard Jahn, Alan Furler, Bill Strassner, Ralph Shelhamer
F3 Unit Tours (4:30 pm–6:30 pm)
- Closed-toed shoes and long pants are required.
Download the registration form: Color | Black & White
Please note, since we are holding the meeting on Steamtown’s site, the ARHS does not have hotel rooms reserved for attendees. However, below are a few local hotels attendees could use for lodging if interested: Hilton Scranton Conference Center, 100 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503 (570.343.3000); Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, 700 Lackawanna Ave, Scranton, PA (570.342.8300); The Colonnade, 401 Jefferson Ave, Scranton, PA 18510 (570.342.6114); Four Points by Sheraton, 300 Meadow Ave, Scranton, PA (570.344.9811)
Excursion Disclaimer: At the present time, we plan on having the full A-B-A consist of F3 units pulling our excursion, with the A-units operable. There is a remote chance the B-unit will be operable as well. However, despite our best efforts, the units are 70 years old and maintenance issues can arise, limiting or preventing their use. In the event the units are not available for the excursion, substitute equipment will be used. If substitute equipment is not available, refunds for the excursion will be issued.
- 40th Anniversary Convention a Success
- Proposed Changes to Organizational Bylaws
- New Books
- Restoration Report
- FD&S and Website